Thursday, October 20, 2011

OK...

...so Phoebe may not have cancer. It's been a roller coaster day so please bear with me.

After I read some of the comments from the last post I realized that a second opinion was a good idea. After talking things over with Bear we decided to go to the Oradell Animal Hospital. It's a good distance away from us but it is a top of the notch facility and they have specialists who could examine Phoebe and give us a diagnosis of something other than "it might be lymphoma."

So anyways, this evening we went to Oradell and saw an internist. She did another ultrasound. Guess what? She did not find a mass in Phoebe's intestine! There were a couple of things a bit suspicious in the ultrasound but none of them screamed "cancer." The internist thinks it might be something called Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI). This is easily treated with supplements. We'll know more tomorrow when the blood work comes in. If it's not that then we'll have to discuss other options like biopsies to see if it is cancer. I'm hoping it is as something as simple as EPI.

6 comments:

Cheysuli and gemini said...

We hope so too! Lymphoma is nasty. Purrs to you and to Phoebe!

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

I am SO glad you went for a second opinion! I am keeping my paws crossed that Phoebe's issues are easily treatable and having nothing to do with the dreaded C word.

~*Connie*~ said...

Yea for second opinions!!! Oh so hoping it is something easily treatable.. we have our paws crossed

san said...

YAY....that is a good thing.

Fuzzy Tales said...

We're SO glad you went for a second opinion!

The mom is a bit (more than a bit) leery of vets -- there were things that she ought to have been told re: Annie's initial tests last winter (things that should have been done and weren't, a diagnosis made without full info, etc.) and she can't help but think that Annie might still be with us if she herself had known more, had known to insist on certain things, not on others. So a vet making a diagnosis with the words "it might be..." just isn't good enough in her opinion.

We will keep our paws crossed and send purrs that this turns out to be EPI and not lymphoma--but if, in the end, it IS lymphoma, at least you will know in your hearts that you have the correct diagnosis. And our mom says that's invaluable for peace of mind--something she hasn't yet achieved re: angel Annie.

Mark's Mews said...

Oh, we sure hope it is the EPI!