Saturday, October 22, 2011

Some Good, Some Bad

We did talk to the vet last night about Phoebe and got some good news. She hasn't developed hepatic lipidosis which in my mind is a Good Thing. However, we're still waiting to hear the results of the EPI test which probably won't be available until Tuesday. Personally I hate waiting but I guess it is all we can do for the time being. The vet did recommend some Hill's A/D to help her get eating again so we picked some of that up today. The only problem is finding Phoebe at the moment because she has managed to hide herself pretty well.

For the bad news, if the EPI test comes out negative, we won't be able to afford exploratory surgery or biopsies. The vet said it would run about $4,000 which we just don't have. The damage from the flooding in September wiped out our savings account plus we're not sure if it's worth it. If they do find cancer, the chemo treatments would run about $5,000 and we just don't have that kind of money. At least the vet understood this and didn't make us feel guilty for not going with the surgery. All we can do is try what we can with what we have and hopefully it'll be something as simple as the EPI which we can treat. I'll keep you all posted with news as we get it.


Katnip Lounge said...

Fingers and paws crossed for Phoebe, and if the worst comes to pass, we know you will give her the best remaining time possible. Purrs for all of you.

Cheysuli and gemini said...

Our purrs for Phoebe. We know that you will do the best for her (and that doesn't always mean spending all your money--sometimes it just means loving her--it's what she really wants).

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Paws crossed and lots of purrs here for Phoebe - and for you too. It's really terrible that money has to make the difference between life and well, not-life. But the bottom line, really, is that stuff like chemo usually only buys time and does not cure. And if you have ever known any cancer patients, you have probably heard how awful chemos are - and that is not quality of life. So even if money were not an object, if Phoebe has cancer, not putting her through it might be the best decision after all.

Fuzzy Tales said...

Kim here: Don't feel badly for not being able to spend that kind of money...I certainly don't have it; most of us don't. And there also is quality of life to consider--how much anyone puts their beloved fur companions through, mostly for their own (in truth) selfish reasons, not for the Highest Good of the companion animal. My $0.02. If any of my cats get cancer, for instance, I would not put them through chemo just to extend their lives for a few months--that's huge suffering for the animal to endure. I don't believe in it. I might be banned from the CB for that opinion (lol), but I feel strongly that if it's a terminal diagnosis the Being ought to be given as much love and peace as possible, not put through umpteen medical procedures. *I* would want that for myself, if I'm terminally ill with something other than life in general.

So I'll cross my fingers and the boys will cross their paws for test results that allow Phoebe to easily be treated.

Sending (((hugs))) and universal Light to you all.

The Island Cats said...

We're purring that it is something treatable. We understand the money thing...and we agree with the others. We know you will do what is best for Phoebe.