Monday, November 07, 2005

Hello

I figure that since Ayla started her own blog, I should probably start one about my Fuzzies.

So where did I get the name of "Fuzzies" from? This is a silly story. Back when I was in college (c. 1990) I used to love the cartoon "Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers." There was one episode where this little kid comes up to Chip and says in a really cute baby voice "fuzzy!" Then the kid walks up to a friendly bear and goes "big fuzzy!" Well, a couple of months later, I bring home Ayla. When I first saw her, the first word that popped into my head was "fuzzy!" 'cause she's a medium hair cat (not too short, not too long, but fuzzy). I even came very close to calling her "Fuzzy." Instead, it's now a word that I use to describe my kitties. Hence, the Fuzzies, and since I have eight of them, we get the Flock O' Fuzzies.

So who are the Fuzzies? These are my kitties and I have eight of them. Yes, I'm a bit nuts to have eight and no, I'm not a "crazy cat lady." It just started with my original three and built up from there over time. Each ones has a story of how we got him/her and there is no way I would ever give any of them up. Here's a short description of each of them:

Ayla - She's the queen of the house and a very grumpy cat, but the way I look at it, at 15 years of age she's allowed to be. I adopted her from a private owner who did not take good care of his 50 some odd cats. Ayla was very sick, undernourish, and plagued with ear mites and fleas. Even the vet was very fearful at the time that she wouldn't live. However, with lots of my love and attention, I nursed her back to health and she's now a fixture.



Kukai - This is my little Japanese Bobtail who has a serious Napoleon Complex. He's 9 years old and I got him from an animal shelter. A friend of mine knew I was looking to get a Japanese Bobtail told me that she saw him at the Elmsford NY Animal Shelter. He was a year old at the time and when I saw him, I knew I had to take him home with me.

He is a very loving cat, but at times he can be a royal pain in the butt. I have two nicknames for him: Ku-Ku and Little S**t. He's only 7 pounds but he thinks he's three times his size and tries to beat up the other cats. It's rather silly to watch, especially when he goes after one of the Maine Coons.



Bomber - Bomber is seven years old and I got him from the Elmsford shelter after my beloved tabby Xanadu had passed away. He really is a special cat. He's almost completely black, with one tiny patch of white on his chest that you can barely see. He also only has one eye. When I got him from the shelter, he was five months old and the lady there explained that his litter had been found behind a dumpster and all the cats had been very sick. In his case, he had developed an ulcer on his eye that got so bad that it had to be removed. I didn't care. He was a very loveable kitten. Now he's a big, fat loveable mush. He's also a big scaredy cat but I don't hold that against him.



Bailey - Bailey is a purebred blue torbie Maine Coon. She was given to me at six months old from a breeder friend who couldn't find a home for her. She was considered "anti-social." However, when I met the kitten, she was outgoing and loveable. I don't know who would ever think she's anti-social. She's a big loveable mush, but I will admit that she gets very moody. She hates it when my husband and I curl up together so much that she always tries to get in between us. LOL.



Phoebe - She is a beautiful long-haired tuxedo cat and she's five years old. We rescued from the Elmsford shelter. She was six months old at the time but I can't figure out why nobody had snatched her up before us 'cause she is the sweetest, most loving cat I have ever met. She loves giving kisses, enjoys being held, and craves tummy rubs. She does have a scar on one of her eyes from an ulcer she had before we adopted her, but still. I barely notice it at all. She's also special because this was the first cat that Darren and I got together. He had married me and all my cats but he wanted a cat that was "our" cat, so we went and got her.



Fizzy - She is a year and a half old tabby. We got her last summer from the Ramapo-Bergen Animal Refuge after I had some serious biological clock issues. I told my husband it was either a baby or a kitten, so we got the kitten. :) She was 12 weeks old when we brought her home from the shelter. Her full name is Fizzgig after the little creature in "Dark Crystal," but we've shortened it to Fizzy. She reminds me of "Fizzy Lifting Drinks" from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." She is a little spaz, living up to her name, but she is developing the universal tabby pudge. She loves to sit in my lap when I'm on the computer and just purrs away. She really is my baby.



Loki - When my beloved Moose passed away last winter, I had to get another Maine Coon. We went to the same breeder we got him and Bailey from and they told us they had a litter coming soon. The kittens were born in April and we picked Loki out soon after. I'll probably regret naming him after the Norse God of Mischief, but I just really loved the name after a friend of mine mentioned it. He's a red & silver tabby and he does get into trouble. I think his biggest problem is that he's not the brightest cat. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a big, dumb, loveable mush.



Monkee - About a week after we brought Loki home, none of the cats would still not have anything to do with him. He was so lonely. We called up the breeder to ask if she had any more kittens and we were suprised to find out that she did. I picked out Monkee, who just happened to be from the same litter as Loki. The name was the hardest part, especially since Loki had his name already and coming up with names isn't easy. Well, Darren always wanted a cat named Monkey and this little imp looks like a little rhesus monkey. However, I gave him my own little touch by changing it to Monkee, in reference to one of my favorite bands (The Monkees). Where Loki is dumb, Monkee is just too darn smart for his own good. Also, where Loki is big, Monkee is petite. It's really hard to believe they are from the same litter.



So there is my Flock O' Fuzzies.

2 comments:

Amy in NC said...

Hi to all of the Fuzzies! Mom keeps threatening to bring home another kitty but she doesn't want to stress me out with my allergies (and I am very happy about that too). She keeps looking at them though so I won't be surprized if we end up with another adopted brother or sister. She'll need to move us into a house first though. Thanks for linking to us and we will put your link on our blog too. Welcome!

Knightly

DK & The Fluffies said...

Phoebe should join the Tux gang. Meow to everyone else.